Tuesday, November 1, 2016

grid project

my first idea was to make a piece with post it notes or cds
but i either ran out of space of materials in both cases.

So! my next idea was to attempt to emulate the sprite style of one of my favorite games, Mother.

I started with a pencil sketch of a wolf wearing a red flannel shirt, then i brought it into photoshop and cleaned it up with my favorite brushes!

Then I attempted to decrease the size and pixelate the image and make it 30 x 30 pixels, but it didn't have the amount of detail i wanted it more detailed, so it ended up being a 134 x 168 grid

i added color and tried to pay attention to how the colors overlapped and little details like aligning the checks on his flannel with the checker pattern in the background.

 I considered printing it out right then, but then i got the idea to 3D print it pulled out to make it a little different than a picture on a piece of paper

SO! I took the colored image into illustrator and separated it into individual colors and individual planes for each pixel.

Then i imported the illustrator files to maya, a 3d software

due to importing complications, i had to extrude each pixel individually and each color the same thickness so they would fit together like a puzzle

the black outline would also act as a backing for the printed object, the holes being open to place the colors inside, since the printer can only print one colored objects.

unfortunately, the printing software couldn't decipher and export the black object for the backing because it had over 1000 pixels, so it could do anything but show me an error message...

SO! in the end i had to settle for a large format printed version of the colored pixelated image













No comments:

Post a Comment